world of aviation logo

Virgin to exit from AirAsia X

written by WOFA | June 29, 2012
Virgin Group is reportedly set to dispose of its 10 per cent stake in AirAsia X. (Les Bushell)

Virgin Group plc will reportedly sell out its 10 per cent stake in Malaysian based longhaul low cost carrier AirAsia X.

According to Malaysian press reports, the British parent company of Virgin Atlantic Airways will sell its stake to AirAsia and Aero Ventures, which is controlled by AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes and co-founder Kamarudin Meranum, taking the combined stake of the two companies to 60 per cent. The remaining 40 per cent is owned by Japanese finance house Orix and Bahrain’s Manara Consortium.

AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman-Rani was not able to comment on the speculation of the deal, saying that he was not privy to any discussions.

AirAsia X is planning to launch an initial public offering later this year.


Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year